I've never had clips of any kind on a bike-  though I have ridden
someone's bike with toe-clips, but couldn't get used to it.   I never
have any problems with my feet slipping, except when riding bmx, and
in those cases scars on my shins are a small price to pay compared to
god-knows-what if I were clipped-in.   :P