> I find they have an alarming tendency to come off the pedal or to be
> misaligned, and it seems like a
> lot of work to me to constantly have to think about foot placement.

Jim's amusing take on differences notwithstanding, I think it is a
case where different physiology is in play.  I just got back from an
approximate 600 mile in 7 day tour with camping and hiking worked in.
My tour bike is set up with old Campy quill pedals (bought from some
nice guy on these boards.  forgot who he was but 3,000 miles and going
I sure appreciate the deal.) without clips.

The alternative would have been to wear riding shoes and stow my
hiking shoes.  Doable, but shoes take up a lot of pack space.