I have tried 3 different clipless pedal systems, with 3 different
pairs of shoes, but each time, I came back to flat pedals. I see some
advantage of being attached, but not enough to make it worth changing
shoes. And on long rides, being locked in one place actually causes
more fatigue and discomfort than free-floating on MKS Sylvan Touring
pedals. I have become so accustomed to letting my foot roam around the
pedal that even spiky bmx pedals seem too restrictive (I have bmx
pedals on my fixed-gear and on my unicycle (ouch!)). For all types of
riding, I use thin-soled, flimsy shoes, by the way.

Anybody who does it differently is clearly wrong, and probably has a
range of other moral failings.