I also didn't really like the CR720s. Tried them on two bikes, always Kool
Stop salmon pads, and in the end I switched to Shimano CX70s, which are
much more flexible (in theory you could set them up with more or less MA
than the Tektros) and have a lot less slop on the posts than the CR720s.
It's a shame 'cos I like the way the Tektros look.

>From my understanding Ted is correct about the difference in leverage—and
sometimes decreasing leverage is what you want. When I first set up the
CX70s I had too much MA (lever bottoming out against bar) so I raised the
straddle until it was right.