Back to the subject of the thread:

My current N is five bikes,
1) Riv Road Standard, set up as a 650b tourer, gravel capable
2) Schwinn KOM, set up as a drop bar 26er gravel/anyroad bike, tour capable
3) Giordana, gofast!, 700x26 max
4) Fatboy, off road and winter bike
5) Cannondale 26" hardtail, off road bike.

But I could probably whittle that down to three (Riv, KOM, and Fatboy)

- I haven't ridden the Cannondale since I got the fat bike (it's that much
fun), so I'll probably sell it soon.

- I rode my Giordana about 3 times last year, and although I love its
whippy steel ride, it's too limited for the type of riding I prefer.  I may
never sell it, but I'll never ride it regularly.  I've ridden it 3 or 4
times already this year, because I felt guilty to leave such a gorgeous
Italian unloved.

- I have a lot of overlap between my Riv and KOM (especially since they
both have Nitto B135 bars, triple cranks, bar-ends and 9 speed cassettes).
But, they both are good commuters and excel at my favorite riding: gravel
and trail.  The Riv is smooth and composed, where the KOM is more playful.

I could have one bike for this mission, but I love being able to choose
between two excellent steeds.  This realization helps me understand why
someone would have multiple, similar bikes, if that type works for their
favorite type of riding.

Tim