Blakcloud - I've seen that toe strap idea on Riv's site as well and think
it's a good one.  The Berthoud rack was kind of like a Nitto R-14 but for
the front so when it was no longer attached to the fork crown it naturally
was able to swing down/forward.  I'll not use one like that again.
Rigid/non-hinged support struts and a fork crown thru bolt that is integral
to the rack are requirements as far as I'm concerned now.  As for the
single ring, I'm going 8 speed in the back, cheap chains and cassettes,
easier friction shifting and I don't miss the extra gear.  I didn't notice
a problem w/ chain keeping once I went to the WI SS ring, it's not one of
the newer 'wide-narrow' versions but I'll probably skip the chain keeper
unless it becomes a problem.

Thanks Erl and Patrick!