Yes, if you loose the fork crown bolt for some reason and your rack is
loaded the only place for it to go is forward/down onto the wheel or onto
the ground (depending on the strut length).  Both of those have a fully
enclosed hole on the fork crown tab though.  The Berthoud had a curious
feature where the fork crown tab just had a 'U' to house the bolt.  With
that 'U' it meant that even a loose fork crown bolt and not full removal
could result in the rack falling forward.

Lot's of people have used that Berthoud rack w/o problems I'm sure, I did
for nearly a year.  If you check your hardware pre-ride and add a safety
like the Riv toe strap idea I think it's probably good to go.

A Canti stud rack like the M-12 seems to have less potential for something
going wrong in my opinion.