Interesting. I've heard good things about Paul cantilevers, but is there
something about the Paul cantilever designs that is problematic for tandem
use, or are you saying you feel cantilevers in general are not tandem
suitable?

I run cantilevers (vintage Suntour XC Pros) on a custom 650b Bilenky tandem
and have great stopping power -- we're a big team (I'm 6'7, 240 lbs, my
stoker is small, 5'3", 110 lbs) but have no issues with those in normal
use. We do have a drum brake we add for loaded self-supported tent-camping
touring with a trailer, but cantilevers alone are fine when unloaded -- not
only here in flat IL, but in trips in Western PA and in CO.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL