I've been thinking a lot about this recently, not for it's application to
supple tires per se, but for the inverse: the stiffer the tire, the more
you have to be careful about tire pressure in order to optimize rolling
resistance.  I tend to run stiffer tires (Schwalbe Kojak, Marathon Supreme)
on my everyday rigs because I ride through industrial areas with a lot of
glass and debris.  I know that you get very few flats even with relatively
supple tires, Jan, but stiff Schwalbes are what I have arrived at for my
purposes.

I used to really love the smooth ride of low pressures, and would run my
stiff tires really low, often in the 40-50 psi range for the 35mm Kojaks (I
weigh close to 200 lbs fully clothed and am usually 5-10 lbs in a front
bag).  But after moving to the flat CA central valley and commuting longer
distances, I've noticed that they can be kind of a dog.  Since my Kojaks
are on my Quickbeam (so fixed gear/single speed: https://flic.kr/p/Ett4rD),
my perceptions are much more in line with Patrick's: my perceived exertion
for a given gear ratio in a given set of conditions.  So I've recently been
experimenting with higher pressures, in the 55-70psi range for the Kojaks,
and they definitely roll better.  In the past couple of weeks I've been
trying to find a happy medium in the 50-65 psi range.  Not sure I've
cracked it yet.

On the other hand, I recently built up an early 80's Medici Pro Strada
(https://flic.kr/p/DQ9YxP) for the Eroica CA ride in April and I splurged
on some Grand Bois Cerf EL's for it, and all I can say is that bike feels
effing *fast*.  Of course, there are a number of things that make it so
compared to my daily riders: more aerodynamic (less comfortable) position,
lighter weight (more Al components, plus the fact I'm never carrying a
commuting load), relatively close-ratio gears well suited to my terrain.
 But I have been wondering how much is the tires, and if maybe splurging on
something like the Bon Jon Passes for the QB is worth it.  I downloaded
Strava on my phone to try and quantify the difference, but so far it's
inconclusive.