Thanks for the excellent feedback.  After reading the posts, I took another
look at the fender set-up, and still can't really see what it's rattling
against.  As far as I can tell, it clears the tire and front rack by good
margins.  I tightened up all associated bolts and screws and will see if
that makes a difference.  Next step, assuming I still have this problem,
would be to try a variation on the idea of an extra stay, and find a way to
attach the front end to my front rack and see whether that helps.
To clarify the issue a bit: the fender is fine under most conditions.  It's
only when I ride over rough stretches that it makes its noise.
All the best,
Kevin