Ok, this is a bit off topic, my apologies, but I am perplexed.

I run 9 speed silver friction shifter on all of my bikes except the tandem,
which has Shimano bar ends.  I usually run it in friction, mostly because I
don't have regular experience with indexing and when they need adjustment,
I struggle until I say, oh the hell with it.  But I have been trying to get
this indexing right because I am thinking I want to try 10 speed on this
bike.  So here's what's happening.

I can lift the chain from the outside 11 to the inside 28 in consistent
steps, but when I try to drop the chain it hangs up for an extra click
right at the start  and then jumps across the 12 to the 11 at the end.
 Occasionally, it will jump from the 9 to the 7 position on the second
click.   Everything works OK in friction mode, although the 9 to 8 did seem
a bit wider, so I tightened the low set screw until the chain would just
barely reach, then backed it out a couple of degrees.  This made no
difference.  It just occurred to me that I have not measured the chain, but
it's hard to see how that could cause this behavior.

Any thoughts?

Hot, even in VT.

Michael