I was really optimistic about this and worked hard at it, even had stoker
Pat with her quilters eye confirm my alignment.  It didn't change the
outcome.  Then I measured the chain and found it at .75, so cleaned up the
rings, cogs, & pulleys and then put on a new chain.  This helped.  Now when
I drop down from the largest cogs it simply hesitates until I put a tad
more pressure on the shifter.  When I get down to the middle of the
cassette, it starts to work perfectly.  I am considering trying a new
cassette but would need to buy one and since I have been thinking about
moving to 10 speed, hesitate.

As I posted on the tandem discussion "tandems create the worst possible
case for shifting.  They have long cables that stretch a lot;  the captain
& stoker may have difficulty coordinating pedal pressure during shifting;
they require a higher hi gear because its easy to spin out and they require
a lower low gear because they don't climb as effectively as a single.
 Finally the captain and stoker often prefer different cadences making big
jumps between gears hard to satisfy both riders."  So in order to solve
some of these problems I am thinking about moving from a 9 speed 48/38/26 &
11/28 to  a 52/38/28 with a 10 speed 11/30 or 32.

Michael