Mike Packard wrote:

*I'd also be interested to hear from those who are in a position to compare
the Cheviot to the Clem L-Style.*That would be Grant, for one. He has
Cheviot, which I believe is his main squeeze, and just recently got a Clem
L.

Jeremy wrote:
*I know from experience that my wife and I can easily pedal the Clem L-type
hard enough to cause problematic frame flex. The Cheviot should be stiffer,
and I think that would help a lot.*

I am duly impressed! The Clem brochure mentions that, under a full load,
the 59 Ls will experience a bit of wag when stomping out of saddle. As
another data point to your observations, I have a 52 Clementine, and don't
have any significant flex to report, problematic or otherwise. While my
Clementine's design and accoutrements encourages exploring the gentle side
of its nature and generally keeps my inner sprinter at bay, I can kick it
pretty good, and I've honked it up some gradual grades, and also motored
the flats on occasion, with no discernible flex. (On the Bob list, flex is
good!)

Sean wrote:
*I rode both bikes a few weeks ago and found the Chev to feel much more
nimble and quick than the Clem.*
I've never ridden a Cheviot, but I do have a mixte with a 46cm chainstay
that could be described as a bit more "nimble" than the Clementine. I think
the Chev shares a similarly long chainstay with the Clems. I don't pay much
attention to the front end geos, are they different? I'm curious as to the
bar setup on the two bikes you tested. My mixte has Albatross, and the
Clementine has the Bosco Bulls, and I believe that affects my perception of
the handling. But yeah, compared to some others, the Clementine is not Jack
over a candlestick.

Okay, I've defended the honor of my lovely Clementine. For the OP, I would
say the Cheviot sounds like the bike for you. What a great-looking bike,
and from all the feedback, a great-riding bike. I certainly considered it,
but ultimately the Clementine provided the differences between my other
bikes that I was seeking. In my opinion, the mixte design takes the upright
bars even more stylishly than a more level top-tubed rig such as the Sam
you are pondering. And riding a mixte in a small Upstate town will just
make you a better person all around! It's only a shame it doesn't come in
rose. (As for it being more convenient in your dotage, don't count on it,
especially if you take a 60; those top top tubes are high enough that you
will still need that swing.)