You can add to your list of possible and theoretical problems when using
too wide a tire on too narrow a rim, that there is at some (not known to
me) point the theoretical danger that the overfat tire may overpower the
rim wall and break it. But at 20 psi, I don't think -- "think" -- that this
is a problem.

IIRC, Jan discussed this in BQ somewhere back when.Can others add to the
answer?

Interesting aside: I used the 50 mm (labeled) F Freds on 44 mm Sno Cat
rims; ok, not bad; they measured perhaps 52 and had a flattish profile.

I swapped the same tires to 35 mm Velocity Blunt SS's, and the tires (now
51 actual) had a much nicer, rounded profile that (at least in imagination)
cornered more nicely. Make of this what you will. Me, I make that 50 mm
tires play 'specially nice with 35 mm rims.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

> Not quite the answer I was in search of.  I forget what the issue is,
> exactly, but there's something to do with sidewalls that's a concern if not
> outright hazard when you're so far beyond the design recommendation.  But,
> your answer has inspired me to consult the Great Oracle Google, and here's
> what I found:
>
> http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/12/tech-story-match-
> bicycle-tire-width-rim-width-best-results/
>

> *"If the tire is too wide for a given rim, you get more tire roll due to
> the larger casing size and higher aspect ratio of the tire, which together
> create more leverage on the tire allowing the casing to collapse and roll
> over the rim during hard cornering."   *
>
> I imagine this is exacerbated by low tire pressures.   It turns out that
> the thing I was vaguely remembering as a problem is actually an artifact of
> the exact opposite: "*The basics are that if you run a rim that is too
> wide for a particular tire you have a lot more issues with tire and rim
> damage, as the rim is much more likely to bottom out on lateral rock
> impacts causing tire or rim damage."*
>
> On 10/30/2016 08:55 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
>
> Be serene, acushla. Open Pros are perfectly wide enough for 40 mm tires.
> Breathe deeply in relief and gratitude.
>
> I rode thousands of miles with 2" tires on much narrower rims -- 19 mm
> outside to outside, with nary a fall or slip. I rode 65mm actual Big Apples
> on 24 mm outside to outside rims, at sub 15 psi. Absolutely not a problem,
> apart from the funny squirmy feel on pavement -- but then, I'd just pump
> them to a hard 20/25, and all would be well.
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/30/2016 01:32 PM, Jeff Lesperance wrote:
>>
>>> The tires I have on it now are Compass Snoqualmie Pass, which are
>>> labeled at 700x44, and though I haven't measured them yet, I suspect
>>> they're closer to 40mm as installed on the narrow-ish Open Pro rims I have
>>> for now. So the answer is they will fit Snoqualmie Pass and fenders, though
>>> there are a few tight spots that I'm not concerned about, but if the tires
>>> stretch or I swap to a wider rim, which I intend to do, I may have to
>>> reconsider the fender solution. I've split fenders previously to get a bit
>>> more clearance under brakes, so I may go that route if need be.
>>>

>> Wow!  Mavic recommends the Open Pro for tires 19 to 28mm in width. You're
>> really stretching the envelope by going up to 40mm.    I guess the question
>> to ask now is, "What could possibly go wrong?" (No, seriously)

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle