This is always a fun read everytime it comes up.
I never vote with my wallet.   I let companies vote for my business with
their pricing.

I know what I want and I know what I'm buying, I assume that most on this
list do as well, I don't need to be sold anything.

If I head to a store (of any type)  and they have something I want cheap,
I'll buy it.  Otherwise, why spend more?   I have worked on and off in bike
shops for 25 years.  Here is a secret, most shops don't like ordering
things for customers.   It's out of their routine, it's not what they
already paid for to stock and it's an extra thing to do.   Most shops place
an order weekly, a few will order twice weekly.   But its still a pain to
do the extra steps for a one-off.   Plus, I can order damn near anything
right off of my phone and have it within 2-3 days.   That's pretty darn
convenient, and I am a man of convenience.

I was killing some time waiting for a friend last weekend and I pulled into
a Field and Stream store.  They had a rather nice carry pistol, a Ruger LCP
2, for $350.   A few second on my phone and it turns out Cabela's which is
a few miles away has it for $300.   Where do you think I spent money?
Both are my "local" store.  Both employ "local" people.   One Just does a
better job at cost management, inventory control and cost cutting and
regulation.

The $50 I saved went right into an eBay seller on a pair of Modolo anatomic
brake hoods that were probably $8 back in the 80s.
All the dollars always get spent.   Its just a measure of who gets them.

For the record, the 001 pedals are nice but routinely go for right about
$45 online.
Cheers,
Scott