On 02/28/2017 07:47 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
I get the "How old is that bike?" question occasionally, but much more often I get the "Wow, what a nice bike!" exclamation for both of my Rivs, and from a surprising variety of exclaimers -- experienced riders but also ordinary citizens. The Rivs are 18 and 14 years old respectively, but I don't consider them any older in a functional sense or even aesthetic sense than my 2016 Matthews.

If old means "worn out," then any bike that has been ridden until worn out is old. If old means outdated as to performance, then I'd say you have to go back at least to the mid '80s because of clipless pedals and aero levers and cassettes and slant parallelogram derailleurs; at least, that's when they became common.

But how hard is it to install clipless pedals and slant paralleogram derailleurs on a bike? So 10 minutes work and that 55 year old bike is now "new"?

I believe that these inventions were real benefits to cycling. If "old" means simply "around many years," then any date is rather arbitrary, no? Or at best, simply relative to something that came earlier. New College, Oxford was founded in 1379, New College, Florida in 1960.