Yes, the benefit of casing suppleness is principally lower rolling
resistance, though I find that more supple tires are also more comfortable
at a given tire pressure (and, OTOH, that they often require a higher
pressure to avoid sidewall flop than do tires with stiffer sidewalls).

We've got 2 questions going on here, optimum wheel size and casing
suppleness. I rather think that the question of how wheel size affects
handling is more "esoteric" than that of casing suppleness, which I guess
is available to anyone who rides above a jogging speed.