Yes he did and he included a series of his tests in BQ to back up the
claim. I dont think JH is alone on the assessment of the 32s being optimum
size for 700c wheels. Another who comes to mind is Mike Kone of Boulder
Bicycle.
I am of the understanding that sizes beyond that are focused more in
comfort at the expense of handling or speed. Furthermore, one aspect that
appears to be often overlooked is the effect of a significantly taller tire
installed on a road bicycle originally designed for a BB spaced to
accommodate up to 32mm tires, regardless if such tire fits the fork or
chainstays.
Granted, unless one pushes the bike up to higher performance ranges (and
has a bike that is specifically designed to comply to such actions), these
theories maybe largely insignificant although true. However, if that's the
case, why one would care about sacrificing the incremental benefits of the
extralights over the standard casings?