Yes, that's what mopeds became (and it's what may be the future of this
generation; there are already some /very/ scooter-looking electric mopeds
out there that I occasionally see on the bike paths/locked up to bike racks
in Portland.  The only thing keeping the electric mopeds from becoming
scooters is that the energy density of batteries sucks dead bunnies through
a straw and that as the batteries age the drivers will more and more likely
need to pedal their way out of trouble.) The net of a billion lies
(wikipedia) actually has a moderately honest recounting of the origin of
the things, including some interesting photos.

-david parsons