On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 10:28:03 AM UTC-7, Brian Campbell wrote:

> Sell everything but the Sam and buy northing else. Chances are you will be
> just fine, since the Sam can do all of the riding and eventual kid hauling
> (Congratulations!) that you will likely do. Set it up with new
> bars/saddle/rack if you need to.
>
> I have 2 bikes my AHH and a 1989 Trek 950 mountain bike. I have divested
> myself of bikes in the double digit number range and I love the simplicity
> of it. If it is not single track riding, AHH. If I am riding trails, Trek.
>
> Swapping wheels, while not complicated is an added complication. When
> little ones arrive, your "free time" tends to get taken up pretty quickly,
> completely and often times, unexpectedly. Anything that adds an additional
> layer of management makes it more complicated than it has to be. It is just
> one more possible impediment to actually riding when your time is not your
> own anymore.

I don't understand this statement -  "Swapping wheels, while not
complicated is an added complication."  So you're recommending this guy
"sell everything" and just ride. I get that. But then what happens if he
breaks a spoke or something happens to his wheels?!  Shouldn't a
spare/backup/extra set of wheels be available?!  Otherwise, if something
happens to his one pair, he's out and can't ride at all?!

Further, I don't know the OP nor do I know his mechanical abilities, but
swapping wheels is not complicated nor does it add any kind of
complication. After all, he has to take off and put on a wheel if he gets a
flat?! As a single parent having to raise two girls, by myself since they
were 6 and 8, there were times I couldn't get to the bike. Having a backup
set of wheels or 3 ;)  was very helpful when I did find time to ride and
found a broken spoke. Of course, YMMV!  Good Luck!