I've been roasting coffee for a few years now. Practical? Absolutely.
Benefits? That's up to you to decide. You get to try specific coffees and
roast them how you like, or differently and compare.
It can be a routine part of daily life, or it can be a full-blown hobby
taking up lots of your time, in a good way.
You can roast delicious coffee with low-tech and high-tech devices.
I've tried a few, have yet to buy an actual coffee roaster because I've
been content with my low-tech results. I have used hot air poppers,
stovetop, oven, grill, and a even a Trangia stove.
My preferred method is actually an old wok that's continuously stirred with
a wooden spoon. It takes practice - and each type of coffee roasts
differently.
I get green beans from Burman (http://www.burmancoffee.com/) local-ish
enough to me that they have cheap flat rate shipping.
Another benefit I suppose is that my wife can't drink regular coffee and
drinks decaf - good luck finding freshly roasted decaf options, so for us
roasting is the only option.
And to bring it to bikes - I have roasted up a small batch of coffee on a
bike ride - a Trangia alcohol stove fits just enough fuel to roast a small
batch of coffee.
David
River Grove, IL