Dave & Others

Back in around 2000, the mad cow event was going thru England resulting in
much younger cows coming to market and their hides being thinner (younger =
thinner hides).  I do remember a reference to someone in Brooks being
concerned the hide thickness was approaching their minimum values, due to
the younger cattle.  It may have been the same gentleman Dave communicated
with.

I bought a red B17 from Wallingford around the time.  Apparently Brooks
made a run of red B-17s for a Dawes project and there was a large surplus,
and Bill Lane passed on the discount.   Still have it, but it seems to need
tensioning more often than one I had from an earlier period, probably due
to a slightly thinner hide from the 'mad cows'.

Funny, Bill is retired, but I still have the saddle.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ