I strongly considered a Dodge Magnum vs Subaru Outback vs VW Jetta
Sportwagen back in 2009 when I was on the market for a new vehicle.
Hatchback, roof rails, and AWD all strongly preferred (especially AWD with
our NJ winters and an unforgiving work schedule/commute.)  The Magnum had
just been discontinued the year or two prior, I think, and it seemed slim
pickin's for R/T AWD models at the time.  A discount program through my
employer with Subaru (no longer offered, unfortunately) pretty much made it
a no-brainer and I got a much better deal through Subaru than either of the
others anyway but I still couldn't afford the XT model I desired and ended
up with the base model Outback.  It has served me well but not really all
that peppy (compared with two older V6 vehicles that preceded it.)  It's
now in need of much TLC and I've reached a crossroads... invest $$$ in
maintenance/repairs (I'm at minimum due for another 30k service plus timing
belt, brakes, and engine leaks like a sieve and consumes fluids and
probably really needs a rebuild) and try to keep it on the road and make a
push for 300k? Or cut my losses and pick up a new "family vehicle" and turn
my wife's younger Hyundai sedan into the new commuter?  Some restructuring
within my company is reducing my commute and allowing more remote working
from home which certainly helps but unfortunately not enough to cut back to
a one car household.

But thanks to all who've contributed to this thread because with the
potential for re-entering the auto market again soon it's helpful to see
what others are driving and also incorporating into their cycling life.
I'm really not looking forward to the possibility of car payments
again with already tight finances.  Ideally I'd love to commute by bike and
have just one household vehicle but this remains out of reach for now.  We
continue to rent as well with relocation always a possibility and still
trying to come up with a plan for a work/family balance.