one more data point: we have been living in 2 locations for a couple of
years now, and have a Forester in one: it's great. But read on.

We have rented vehicles  often in Ottawa, and got a real pleasant surprise
with the Ford Flex we had for 3 weeks. It was wonderful. I was not
predisposed to like any Fords (or dislike them either) but it was terrific.
Driver and passengers loved it. It had a ton of room inside, more than
expected when you look at the outside. The one time I had to move 2 bikes,
it did so easily.

Consumer Reports seems to like them well enough too

Not planning to buy one, but I remain impressed

EricF
back home in BC