Eric: That is useful to know. I thought that silicone might peel off a lot
easier than say Shoe Goo, but apparently not. I'll not try the experiment,
then.

I wonder if there is some "putty" that sticks well, doesn't look horrible,
but comes off without too much work. I know that "they" sell puttys for
hanging pictures, and this stuff holds pretty well and yet peels off even
from matt house paint without leaving detritus.