Brian asked: “I'm genuinely interested in what else, if anything, you hope to
achieve with the Boots over the Hunqabeam aside from maybe the obvious
additional stand-over and tire clearance considering your terrain?”

Och! Aye. You’ve hit on the core of my inner convolutions, Brian. My
Hunqapiller is the first iteration geometry, so 2.1” tires and shorter
chainstays from the newer iterations of the Hunqapillar. BB clearence for fixed
gear is a bigger issue than for freewheel. Thus, Boots offers: longer
wheelbase/chainstays, fatter tires, higher BB clearence, and Grant’s full take
on an 80’s era mountain bike, aka hillybike. That is hard to say no to. Grin.

That said, with the shift to the bullmoose bars on my Hunqabeam, which has
dialed in the sweetspot of positioning for me, I’ve gotten the Hunqabeam as
close to a Boots as I can. This simultaniously has me delighted that the
Hunqabeam can do all I want, with some compromise to BB clearence, tire width,
and wheelbase/chainstay length. On the Hunqabeam, with less weight forward on
my front wheel, I am easily rolling over rougher stuff, both climbing and
descending, than I did with more weight forward (but not as far up/back as with
the Albatross bars I first had).

Thus, regarding Boots, I am puzzling out what the initial build is, to get an
imagined, educated guess, as to how much more/better the Boots would be vs. my
Hunqabeam. Now that I’ve figured out 90% of the Boots build, and all of the
fixed gear drivetrain w/ vertical dropout questions, I’ll be riding the
Hunqabeam pondering the question of delta between it and the Boots for the
riding I do.

My dilemma is this: I don’t need the Boots, and getting a Boots would be the
first Rivendell that didn’t fit into the “need” category (the QB added a second
bike for having time to work on one bike while having one to ride, as well as
extended range of use). My wife is adamant that the “want” is worth the
purchase, but I remain on the fense. I see the benifits of Boots for the riding
I do, and passing up on Grant’s quinticential take on a bike purposebuilt for
the riding I do would be hard to do. Still, all said, that’s a fair
chunk-o-change that could go to needs, of which there are plenty.

Yes, if I get the Boots, I would have three bikes and would set them up as
Boots for my AllWays adventure bikepacking bike, Hunqabeam as a go-fast AllWays
bike, and the QB as a gofast allroad bike with fenders. This has the added
attraction of keeping panniers always on the Boots, making errands ect much
easier. At the moment, I put them on/off the Hunqabeam based on what I’ll be
doing on a given day.

Jon asked about Phil Wood’s Eccentric BB. Thank you for the suggestion, Jon!
I’ve just talked with Phil and the trail-side changing of gears is much more
involved (loosening the BB cups on both sides, using a special tool for side to
side alignment, rotating the BB to adjust tension, and tightening all things up
again) than the WI ENO eccentric hub shift would be. If I didn’t need
trail-side gear changes, it may be the way to go, but I do, so it isn’t. Shrug.

With abandon,
Patrick