Ha! Well, theologically speaking, we are all elves (aveternal), so none of us
are “mere mortals.” Grin. I don’t know if you want to exclude my response for
other reasons, though. Still, I’m cocky enough to offer it. Grin. If it helps,
I turned around once because of wind. Climbing Pikes Peak on the QB, I didn’t
have a low enough gear for riding into 60mph steady winds while climbing at
13,000. That, plus a wrong lean at the wrong time could have put me in
Tennessee by the time I landed. Grin.

But on my regular rides, I’ve climbed and descended both with and against up to
60mph sustained winds, though 40 sustained with gusts to 60 is more common.
Swirling is the worst, as there is no way to know which way to lean, so I aim
for the middle and tuck as low as I go. There is a spot notorious for strong
swirling winds, including impressive dust devils. It can be the hardest several
hundred yards of a ride when all comes together just right. Grin. Some rides
there is a concern that if I don’t pedal hard enough I’ll go east whilst aiming
west. “I aimed for Woodland Park, honey, but ended up in Limon. Can you, er,
come get me?” Grin.

Wind is a great example of how fishnet long johns have transformed my riding. I
used to have to choose between being too warm and boil-in-a-bag but with wind
block, or too cold. Not now. Today’s ride was 30-38˚F with 40mph winds and a
tasty squall blustering through. I wore fishnet long john top, medium weight
cotton flannel shirt, scarf (I can adjust air flow as needed, but this time of
year it generally keep it snug), and Walz ear flap cap. Warm, dry, and felt
like a gentle summer breeze keeping me just right in a light shirt (this is how
the fishnet long john system always feels when dialed in for a given condition,
be it raining, snowing, calm, blowing, 50, or minus 20.

Oh, and be sure to breathe only through your nose. It eliminates that gaspy
feeling when the wind creates a vacuum around your mouth and you can’t suck in
air. It filters out dust and bits of tin roof, barn wood, an occational lamb or
cockapoo that weren’t properly tied down.

What else did you ask? “What do you consider a strong wind, and where do you
stop riding? ... What's your technique, mental as well as physical? What gear?”

Strong: above 40mph. Where do I stop riding. I suppose much over 60mph. I’ve
walked in 100mph winds before and that is something to experience once and
avoid thereafter. Grin. You wonder my mental technique? Seriously? (I know, I
know, you DQ’d me. Tough. Grin.). I ride. Like there isn’t a wind. Same as a
hill. It’s just the conditions that are between me and where I’m going, so why
let them weigh me down by focusing on them? There are what they are. So what?
Nothing I can do but tuck and ride and have fun because of how mind blowingly
moronic I am. Grin. How’s that for mental technique, aye? Kind of gave away my
physical technique too. Tuck. Elbows too, and head to stem. I relax my hips
back, roll my back forward and I micro-stand, because if I stand more than
that, I end up in wheat fields. Micro standing takes more arm work than full
standing, but still allows for gravity assist via my body weight to aid the
downstroke enough that it helps. What gear? Whatever gear I’m in. I generally
do not change gear for the wind until significant climbing/altitude is
involved, so 72” on the QB, 62” on the Hunqabeam (wet snow necessitates a
downshift, powder up to 6” does not).

With abandon,
Patrick, too daft to notice the wind much anymore, doesn’t seem to matter if I
do. Grin.