When the wind gets strong enough for the gusts to blow me either across the
road into the oncoming lane or off the road into the ditch is where I draw
the line. That starts to happen when it's blowing somewhere around 70-80kph.

On a tandem tour of Victoria many years ago we encountered a wind like that
while heading out of Melbourne. Wasn't too bad as a block headwind, but
became quite unmanageable when the road turned and it became a crosswind.
We turned tail and headed back towards Melbourne. With the wind behind us,
we had our big gear wound right out at about 70kph, and still weren't up
with the wind speed.

Nick