Ted,

Its a bit more of a drive, but technically still in the east bay. Check out
Luckyduck Bike Cafe in Oakland. Its a lovely little shop that has a bunch
of used (nice) bikes for sale and they definitely cater to the commuting
type, but the prices may be a bit steep. It's worth a call or a look
though...

http://www.luckyduckoakland.com/