Congrats on the bike.

On the rims, I've had really good luck with rims from Velocity, so IMO no
real reason to look beyond their offerings (with exceptions of course, such
as a killer deal on an alternate or no stock for size/drillings/color you
want.)

On the hubs, if you choose the cup-and-cone end of the hub spectrum, I
suggest stepping up to the XT from a Deore. The XT has a slightly better
freehub and internals plus an extra seal, and the price difference relative
to the cost of the wheelset is small. It's not worth stepping up to the XTR
since it's just weight reduction to get to that tier.

There's a very distinct price step to the high end hubs, and those are a
lifetime purchase - the frames will change but the hubs will stay the same.
You'll get a stronger and prettier hub shell, maintenance free bearings
that roll better than cup-and-cone ones and aren't as susceptible to dirt
and grime, and a serviceable and stronger freehub that has a smaller
engagement angle than the Shimano one.

If you're comfortable spending the money on the high end hubs, you won't
regret it. If you have any doubts at all on shelling out that much money
just for hubs, I suggest you pass and stick with the XT. IMO you won't
regret that either: you won't have the mental weight of buyer's regret and
the performance difference between a well kept XT hub and a high end hub is
much, much closer than their difference in price.

--Ed C.