He did mention he is willing to spend more.

I suggest building your own wheels to save on labor and learn a valuable
skill. It is not hard to do and you can get the tools for less than what a
build will cost these days.

I recommend not using Shimano hubs in the rear; especially not the current
XT version. I have had two of their recent XT freehubs seize up turning the
bike into a fixed wheel. First time was coming down a hill. Only fast
pedaling and quick reaction saved the bike and myself from incurring major
damage. Never had an issue with White and Schmidt hubs. Paul and DT in 350
or 240 are fantastic too, but Paul does not make a rear cassette hub and DT
no longer makes non-disc 135 hubs. Phil cassette hubs have had their share
of issues so I'd pass on them unless you are building a single speed or
fixed gear. The fixed/ss hubs they make are amazing.

Clayton Scott,
HBG, CA