Well, Leah I am glad you broached the subject not me! When I've mentioned it in
the past it's been treated as some sort of sacrilege.

Having a long wheelbase whether it be a longer top tube, longer chainstays, or
both. Does get you some good things. Increased tire, fender, mud clearance.
Decreased tendency for toe overlap, etc. And in general, increases to top tube
lengths and chainstay lengths for larger frames makes perfect sense,  no
argument there. Certainly, the contrary.

I think the main thing is it's basically uncharted territory; bicycle frame
building has a century plus of evolution and whereas I am sure many people have
experimented over the years, it's likely few if any have digested & recorded
their findings for those that have come after them and as Grant has stated
before there so many factors that go into a frame design you can't boil it down
to one dimension or another. Increase the top tube, but slacken the head tube
angle and you could end up with two frames that "feel" very similar.
So then the question is: how long is too long? What sort of standard do you use
to determine these new longer dimensions. Logic would dictate that there be
some sort of % .
Something along the lines of:
Top tube = seat tube X 110% and/or
Chainstay = seat tube X 90%
Certainly, these numbers could change depending on wheel/tire size and the end
use of the bike.
It would just be one of those numbers that's thrown into the into the recipe/
blender, a benchmark, a starting point. In much the same way as 72° seat & head
angles are their benchmarks respectively.

When I bought my Clementine, I  actually bought 2; mine a 52 and another Small
to fit my wife, son & ultimately my daughter. But to tell the truth I am sort
of in between sizes myself and I can ride either. The small feels just totally
normal to me; wrenching on it riding it etc. Nothing really stood out. The 52
felt big to me; although not in a bad way. Where I had issues was out of the
seat pedaling, that comfortable ride everyone talks about comes at a price
(which is totally fine as long as you know what it is).
The ride is smooth and comfortable, because long wheelbases tend to smooth out
road irregularities, but also because the frame becomes one big leaf spring,
gently flexing over those same road irregularities.
This is where things start to go sideways, because if it's flexing over bumps,
it's also flexing when you try to sprint, when you wanna climb hills, etc. A
certain amount of this springyness is a desirable thing, but as I said earlier
where is the line?
If you've been buying/riding bikes as long as I have, to a certain extent every
bike is the next on that search for the perfect bike! So far I haven't found
it, but I  have a few that are very close.

Unfortunately, maybe Grant's still trying to find the sweet spot and maybe
it'll take some experimenting? He's kinda gone off the standard frame designers
script so some edits are to be expected. We'll have to see.

PS: if my posts have grammatical error, they could be intentional,  but could
also be because I  generally post here from my phone & the spell checker is
overzealous.