"The problem is that we cyclists have a hard time wrapping our heads around
change."

The problem - such as it is - is these longbikes may be just fine as bicycles
to ride (I like them), but are more of a struggle to transport on/in cars or
buses, carry on stairs and store at home.

This is the ongoing issue when the question comes up on recumbent forums, "Why
don't more people ride them?" They don't even try them because the ownership
issues outside of the actual riding experience are deal breakers. It's
unfortunate because longbikes and recumbents would be a revelation for lots of
people, but they're not going to find out if they can't physically fit the
bikes into the real lives they're really living.