Long chain-chain stays allow you to differentiate yourself in a crowded
market place. "Better" is always a relative term and for the type of riding
I do, commuting, fun rides, the occasional brevet or loosely organized
rides with friends, my 2013 AHH does an outstanding job at all of those
things.

Would another couple of inches on the chain-stays improve the ride and make
it "better"? Maybe but there is nothing "wrong" with it at the moment that
needs improving, IMHO.

The recent changes in design philosophy at Riv take existing frame design
concepts, refined over the last 100 years or so and push them to an extreme
for an "improvement".  It very well may be an improvement in certain
circumstances but it narrows the definition on Just Riding, when the bike
becomes an outlier in your daily life.

As a comparison, I recently received the Legolas I ordered and it has even
shorter chain-stays than the AHH. The mix of light tubing, different
geometry and shorter wheel base makes climbing hills much easier. This is
all subjective and I don't do pseudo science experiments to prove or
dis-prove my experience I just ride and think about how I feel.

To me the "country bike" ethos Riv spoke of when the introduced the AHH was
something that appealed to me. I could and have re-configure the bike in a
number of different ways depending on how I want to ride it and it always
performs great. The new AHH, Atlantis, Appaloosa, Clems and Gus Boots all
seem like minor variations of the same bike  The new designs seem to stress
more specific, nuanced differences and therefor seem more limiting in my
opinion. YMMV.