I'm only 61 and I have to admit to having the same feelings you're
having. It's not just the fear of being so injured I end up in the
hospital. The last time I was taken to emergency and admitted, I contracted
a lung infection in the hospital which was partially antibiotic resistant,
and took a month to get rid of. Absolutely no fun.

     Last night I was looking online at last years bike vs car accidents in
my town. The website broke it down to whether the car driver or bike rider
was at fault, and many of the accidents where the car driver was at fault
were due to a failure to obey the stop sign or traffic signal. This backed
up my own experience dealing with cars in my town, and I have to admit, I
no longer run errands on my bike. And even though I use my small SUV for
grocery runs, I still average about 4 near accidents for every 6 miles I
drive, but that's counting cars, bikes and peds. I drive slower these days,
and expect everyone else on the road to do something really stupid.

    And I now only ride my bike where I feel comfortable, and respect my
sense of fear when I'm riding. Besides, I don't ride to stress myself out.

John