This is a tough and personal question. I think it boils down to the amount of
risk you are willing to accept. All activities (even sitting in your house)
come with some risk. At some point the risk or perceived risk of an activity is
outweighed by the enjoyment of an activity. For me, motorcycles and old
Volkswagens fall into this category. No matter how much I like them, I can just
not participate and not feel like I am depriving myself or feel like I am
living my life in fear. Other activites- like cycling and running- are worth
the risk to me. If I gave them up I would feel like I was living in fear and
would miss them every single day.

Ride in places with protected bike lanes or trails. Or give yourself permission
to take a break from cycling. You can always start again. Just Ride, to me,
means being true to yourself and doing what makes you happy and gives you
enjoyment. If that means not riding then that's ok. Talk to people-- friends,
doctors, etc. They may have radically different perspectives. Keep an open
mind. Explore other types of cycling. Explore other types of exercise. But
mostly, do what makes you happiest. Life is too short not to.