This virus is terrifying. At first people dismissed it. Then they said, “Oh, we
won’t worry; it’s just going to affect the frail and elderly - *I* will be
fine.” (How can that be a comfort to you?! This lack of concern for one’s
fellow man and preoccupation with self nearly did me in.) Now the virus has
drawn itself up to its full, terrible height and we are seeing it do what most
never thought likely. No age is a guarantee of survival. This virus is no
respecter of health status - it can take you down in the prime of your life and
land you in ICU just as it can a more vulnerable, aged person. The only other
virus I’m old enough to remember fearing was H1N1. I was an ER nurse at the
time and feared that virus every single shift I worked. But it was nothing
compared to THIS.

As far as natural medicine and Western medicine, I tend to tread lightly. I am
not interested in arguing behind a keyboard here, but I will say that we in
healthcare have told patients a lot of things in the name of “science” that
were just plain wrong. “Don’t eat butter, eat margarine.” “Don’t eat fat, eat
these fat-free carbs.” “Don’t eat eggs, they’ll spike your cholesterol” and so
on and so forth. I have known real people who have seen great improvements to
their health by incorporating some natural remedies. I don’t believe
natural/alternative medicine and Western medicine are mutually exclusive. I
don’t think homeopathy takes the place of Western medicine. I don’t think
Western medicine has all the answers.

I suppose I’m a fan of integrative medicine.

I’m not going to buy anything from the website above, but I do advocate
readying your immune system as best you can for a virus you are most likely
going to encounter sooner rather than later. Vitamin D3 with K2 to boost
immunity, I make and drink chicken stock, take probiotics, eat a LOT of
vegetables and berries and pastured meat. I make everything from scratch -
bread, salad dressing, all of it. In a time when we feel so helpless, there is
some comfort in knowing there are little things we can do to stand up to this.
I will likely get this virus one day, but I hope I’ve given my body (and the
bodies in my family) a fighting chance against it. That’s all we can do,
Friends.

Let’s be kind to each other right now, even if we disagree.
Leah