Interesting analysis; so it's the "surging" that brings out the advantage of
a light wheel on a climb. I do notice that I tend to "surge" and, when on a
fixed gear, even while sitting, if you are pedaling at a slow rpm, the bike
tends to momentarily slow, then speed up as you pedal. I shall have to try
climbing on the Sam Hill in a low gear (I tend not to downshift for climbs
except when heavily loaded.)

Still, as Aristotle said, we know the mean from the extremes, and if you
compare the Monocog's wheels with very light ones, I'll bet my two custom
made cycling hats that even with gears as low as you please, you'd find the
lighter wheel easier to get up the hill.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Anne Paulson <anne.paul...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Not when you are climbing; the difference between a heavy wheel and a
> light
> > one is amazing.
>
> This is going to be truer for a person riding a fixie, or a person
> (like me) who rides a geared bike but doesn't pedal smoothly. Slowing
> down and speeding up that wheel is going to take a lot of energy. The
> smooth pedaller doesn't have that problem.
>
> --
> -- Anne Paulson
>
> My hovercraft is full of eels

Patrick Moore