On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM, benzzoy <benz...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also have significant reservations about the "heavy wheels"
> comments.  Anyone with a trainer can try this out: Rack each bike up
> on the trainer, disengage the drag mechanism, and pedal.  Put on some
> load and then pedal again.  See?  The difference in wheel weight gets
> overwhelmed into noise when an actual, realistic load is factored in.
>
> Not when you are climbing; the difference between a heavy wheel and a light
one is amazing. Perhaps I notice the difference more because I ride fixed
mostly and I have to stand to climb many hills. My two custom Rivs' light
559 or 571 (1550 gram for the commuter) wheelsets are amazingly different
from even the modestly beefy Alex/IRC Tandem 30s 622 wheeset of the
Motobecane fixed gear. And as for the 900+ gram (each) Big Apples and 780
gram (each) SnoCat S(uper) L(ight)s rims, I can tell you that climbing a 1/2
mile, steepish hill against a stiff wind is .....

OTOH, you do notice how heavy wheels maintain their speed better on flats
(tho' the 65 mm actual BAs really, truly, do act as sails in the wind:
sidewinds and headwinds).