Back in the day of rec.bicycles.tech, mid-90s, I saw a note about Grant
starting his own bike business. I'd like everything he'd done at
Bridgestone, had a beloved RB-1, and  received one of his first catalogs.

Loved every bit of it. I'd been racing road and mountain bikes, and had
become disillusioned with so much of what I was experiencing: the training
and technology treadmill weren't for me any more. Something about seeing
John Tomac's drop-bar Yeti affected a response and made we wonder how much
of this new stuff really made a difference in the experience.

I was reading a lot of posts from Jobst on rec.bikes, ended up converting a
Ritchey for multi-purpose rides (always loved Tom's bikes too), then sold
that and was just riding my RB-1 on and off-road. Kept reading about longer
chainstays, kept seeing all of my friends with their full-suspension bikes
abandon the sport.

I spoke with Grant a few times, and did not have the opportunity to get one
of the bikes until 2003 or so - a Road Standard. Then a long-low, a
Rambouillet, a Bleriot for me and one for my wife, and finally a Bombadil.
Took a hiatus as my work took me bi-modal, and was solely on a Brompton for
about ten years.

Just got a Platypus, and what an incredible evolution has occurred in that
time. I thought that first Road Standard was amazing. The Platy is the most
fun bicycle I've ever ridden, most beautiful bike I've ever seen.

- Chris
SB, CA