I bought my 1st Rivendell because I thought it was a good deal vs. the
classic lugged steel frames available at the time. People seemed to want a
small fortune for old used lugged steel frames and Rivendell was offering a
discount on some Sam Hillbornes that had been delivered without the cream
headtubes. I like building bikes as much as riding them. Once I got the 1st
frame, wow - here was an extremely high quality modern lugged frame with
excellent paintwork, and I can buy a bare frame and build what I want. The
Rivendell lugwork puts the old French bicycles to shame, and no searching
for obsolete headsets and bottom brackets (but VO has cured that), stems,
etc. I don't exactly remember whether I discovered Rivendell or VO first,
but it was around the same time. I never bought a VO frame back when they
were lugged, but I did buy a Neutrino Mini-Velo a couple years ago.
I have a few modern bikes, but I came of age during the bike boom of the
seventies. In 1972, I bought a used Gitane Tour de France - double butted
Reynold 531, Campagnolo hubs and derailleurs, silk Vittoria sew-ups (it was
my 4th ten speed at that point). I like the look of bikes with thin steel
tubes. I have gotten used to the sloped top tubes now that I no longer have
the drop bars positioned lower than the saddle. I still have the 1973
Schwinn Paramount P-15 that I bough new from the Schwinn Store in 1975
after I got hit by an on-duty cop on the Gitane and the frame got bent. the
P-15 Paramount was kind of similar to a Rivendell in that it was looked
down upon by the racers because it had the heavier Reynolds DB 531 tubing
and "longer" (a relative term) chainstays, and clearance for bigger tires
and a triple crankset - something that was known as a sports-tourer back
then. It was my only bike for decades (I did have a Masi for a few years
during the Paramount years). I think that I discovered Rivendell when I was
looking into having Waterford restore the Paramount paint (still haven't
had the Paramount repainted by Waterford).

Laing