Looking for a mountain bike in 1989ish, I discovered Bridgestone and
Grant's marketing philosophy. Both of which clicked with me. So, I ended up
with an MB2 because it was purple and almost as good as the MB1.

I rediscovered Grant and Rivendell thru IBOB, and fully reveled in the
Kool-Aid. After years of hesitation, primarily due to my penny pinching, I
found a used Ramboulliet. How can you not like a bike with a name like
that. Everything about it makes sense and was obviously thought about by
someone who actually rides bikes for utility. The versatility of the Ram
continues to amaze me. Reasonably light and able road bike capable of
touring, comfortable, predictable and pretty. And then the name which is
the cherry on the top.

The whole Rivendell culture has been a huge boon to me. The idea that a
bike can be a tool for practical use while being beautiful, sensible and
fun fits me. Rivendell embodies the meaning of attractive utility. Much
like laguiole knives, tube amps, Belgium shotguns, Wagner castiron, etc. In
my opinion, Grant & Rivendell somehow manage to combine the best of french
aesthetics and yankee (Twain) 'down to earthedness', all with a wry smile.

Besides all of that; the perverse pleasure I get in holding my tongue
whilst some black clad weight weennie bikesplains to me how much faster I
could go if a would ditch that old heavy steel bike, is worth every penny I
have spent at Rivendell. I simply reply, "What's the hurry. I am just where
I want to be and am in no hurry to leave."

Thank you to aeroperf for asking the question that started this thread. I
think it is always good practice to reflect on why we do what we do.

Rivendell can be summed up by one of my favorite quotes;

*Life is too serious to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde*

Best Regards;

JP in goatheadland NE