On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 10:46:15 AM UTC-6 fra...@gmail.com wrote:

> Interesting Keith! I definitely plan to use a Clem as my main commuter to
> haul groceries and my daughter around. I absolutely love my Susie but hate
> leaving it locked up outside when we are going in anywhere for more than a
> few minutes. Do you find the Susie BB too high? It is low to me coming from
> a Chumba Ursa. The Susie is like riding a wet noodle, in a good way without
> much of a load. I imagine the Clem would be quite a different bike.

I don't think you can say that any bb is too high or too low - it just
depends on what the bike is intended for and how you have it set up.   The
distinction between bottom bracket "drop" - or distance below the axles of
the wheels - and the finished "height" - or ground clearance - both matter
equally, and it's hard to know what is making the difference for me since
different tire diameters make it an apples-to-oranges comparison.

When I got my bought my Clem, I had visions of using it as a mountain
bike.  That's how the model was originally conceived, in fact.  It really
didn't work for me that way  because I didn't have enough standover
clearance and I would regularly high-center on obstacles, so it kind of
organically evolved into more of a road-ish, town-ish, smooth trail-ish,
super-fast pathway cruiser.   It was fantastically comfortable - largely
because of the generous, rivendell-typical bottom bracket drop - and it
quickly became one of two bikes I ever wanted to ride.  Just not as a
mountain bike.   Prior to that, I hadn't known I NEEDED a bike like that.

When I got my Susie, it was with the intention of incrementally improving
on my Clem, but keeping it for the same type of riding.   In other words,
that same every-day bike I hadn't previously known I needed.  However,
this model was ALSO very much conceived as a mountain (hill) bike and, in
this case, Grant and crew consciously made it more purposeful... and used a
higher bottom bracket / less drop.  Presumably for clearance to avoid pedal
strikes.

Combined with my ginormous tires, I can't under-emphasize how much I feel
the difference between the two bikes.  That's my main point - not that one
is bad or one is good.  I feel like I'm perched on top of the Susie, while
I rode inside of the Clem.

The low, stable feel of the Clem is what made it and many other Rivendell
models feel so comfortable and stable.  If you're coming from "normal"
brands' bikes or older norba-era mountain bikes, the Susie will still feel
low and great.   In my case, it so happens that my 3 other
regularly-ridden, true "mountain bikes" all have even lower bottom brackets
than the Susie. Like the Susie, they also have much slacker seat tube
angles than is vogue for most mountain bikes these days. But they're not
typical. Those models and my own tastes were both influenced by
appreciation/preference for Rivendell's design philosophy.  So ironically,
this personal experience makes my Susie feel high too.