I was cognizant of the fact that it weighed more than the M1 rack it
replaced, but I never found it to be an issue per se. Plus the added peace
of mind while getting groceries or carrying our small dog was enough for me
to not think twice about it's weight.

I also keep a John's Irish Strap on all my handlebars to immediately lash
my front wheel to the down tube when I arrive at my destination, regardless
of rack/no rack, but I might try one of the stabilizer things Joe
recommended as an added precaution.

Garth's sentiment sounds about right to me, if it doesn't feel good to you
then that's that!