People typically choose two Rivendell bikes by thinking about what the
eventual third one will be, and by calculating how they will all complement
each other and round things out.

This sounds sort of tongue-in-cheek, but it's common in practice because of
the addiction/collector gene that all bike geeks possess.   N+1 is real.
You're always going to "think" you need another:  One that's lighter and
suited for long, fast paved trips; or one that has fatter tires and is
better suited for exploring dirt roads and trails;  or better equipped for
loaded touring; or one that's equipped as a town bike for shopping and
carrying things; or one that's robust and fendered for winter commuting.
So what seems like an obvious answer is to get two models that are as
different as possible - like a Roadini and a Gus - to cover all bases....
but this thinking is a trap.

The problem is that you end end up with bikes that are specialized  or
optimized for one thing but don't get ridden enough because -  in the end -
you're ALWAYS  going to just grab the one you like best and fits the best
and that you are most familiar with.  The one that has become an extension
of you.

My advice would be to do the opposite:  Think about the range of riding
that you do on a *regular* basis, and pick two models separated only by
that degree of optimization.   If you don't regularly do group rides with
roadies, you really don't need that Roadini.  If you don't live in the
mountains, you really don't need that Gus.  If you don't plan to tour - or
could get by with a lighter load or credit card the one time you do - then
you don't really need an Atlantis.  You can ALWAYS do those things on any
other Rivendell model.  You might just go a tiny bit slower.

With this thinking, you'll admittedly end up with bikes with a lot of
functional overlap, but I promise you'll use both of them more.  If you
tinker with one at a time, you can also experiment with things like
different cockpit setups and gearing and tires to your heart's content,
without finding yourself without a bike to ride mid-project, while you're
tracking down some obscure spacer or ferrule that you didn't know you
needed.

So unless you really DO participate in those more extreme activities, you
could maybe get a Sam if your tire and fender clearance are good but you
think you'll regularly need a stiffer frame than the Platypus.  Or get a
Clem L if you like the step-through but regularly need fatter tires than
the Platypus.

Leah, when faced with your exact quandary, did the smartest thing ever and
just got a second Platypus!

I started accumulating rivendells (and other bikes) at a different time.
Compared to the much older and more speciaiized ones that I own, the
current range of Rivendell bikes - with the longer top tubes and longer
chainstays and slacker head angles and increased tire clearance - across
the entire range -  are SO good.  Combined with the ready availability of
quality, fat tires now on the market, it's hard to make a mistake.  I often
think how much simpler my life would be if I got rid of most of what I have
and chose one new one - but I'm too emotionally attached still.   So many
now hang un-used... making me feel guilty... while I inevitably grab the
"one."