Patrick Moore asked these questions, and since I own both a Ram and Legolas
I will attempt to answer them. Be forewarned I am not the best writer, nor
do I believe I am the best at describing the subtleties of various
different bikes (ie handling, ride and so forth).

<I'm intrigued by the Legolas. Can anyone compare the ride -- handling,
"planing"? -- to the Roadeo or to the Rambouillet, or to the old Road
Standard or to an older Road Custom?>

The short answers is that my Ram has a lower bottom bracket (7mm) which
seems a small increment but does make the Ram handle a bet less twitchier
than the Legolas. I will say I was looking to move the Legolas along until
I found someone to thread the steerer tube for me. Evidently the flex the
cockpit now possesses now makes the bike much more comfortable yet still
comparatively twitcher , or more subject to minute steering inputs, which
perhaps can be attributed to the one degree steeper seat tube angle?

I currently have my Ram set up 650b which allows me to run a true 42mm
width which works well for the loose river run gravel the local road
department folks like to slather about.
I have no peddle strike issues with the Ram with the 650b conversion, but I
will say that I do not peddle thru corners.

<Does it have less bb drop than Rivendell road models? Does this affect
handling or feel?>

Yes, the Legolas BB drop is 70mm whilst the Rambouillet BB drop is 70mm. In
my opinion this does make the Ram feel more stable but slower. The Legolas
has .5mm longer chain stays than the Ram which should theoretically make it
a bit more stable.

The head tube angle is the same for the two sizes  have. 59cm for the
Legolas, 58cm for the Ram.

What I don't know is the weight difference. The Legolas seems lighter to me
yet stiffer, or less 'planey', but I'm sure the tires make a bigger
difference in that regard.

<What is the fattest tire that will fit on a Legolas, no fenders? >

I am experimenting with this and currently run a Gravel King 43mm up front
 which is a true 43mm; and a Soma Vitesse 42mm in the back which is
actually 40mm width. looks like I could squeeze a true 42mm in there if I
could find one. I see on Rene Herse website they say 44mm is in actuality a
42mm on the type of rims I have. I'm not sure the extra 2mm in width back
there is worth it tho. I am running these with tubes and OS (thanks for the
huge tip on that), but might experiment with tubeless when the weather
becomes more agreeable.

Both bikes I would consider all-rounders. The Ram with the 42mm width tire
is a great gravel/country road bike. I am currently running Panaracer
Pari-motos which I love. I have the ability to easily change the wheels by
sliding the Tektro 559's to the top of the slot for 700c and the bottom of
the slot for 650b. I know a lot of folks on this list do not like the 559s
breaking feel or strength but I have no complaints. I will say tho that I
live in the flatlands and do not have miles long descents to contend with.

The Legolas now with the handlebar makeover and my testing with wider tires
is becoming more lovable. With 35mm or 38mm it is a go fast road bike, with
the 42mm tires it is a very capable gravel/dirt/country road bike.

Let me know if you have more questions. I posted pics of both bikes a few
days back in this thread if you want to see them.

I apologize that this has gotten a bit long winded and so to quote Twain
"it would be a lot short if I had more time".

 Cheers
James P