Takashi,
To answer your question about snow in Virginia, generally we get less than
we used to. (No surprise there.) Eric is less than 100 miles north of me,
but we are both in Eastern/Central Virginia, more or less. The farther west
in the state, the higher the elevation and that portion gets snow more
often. Though, most of our area gets snow heavy enough to send snow plows
out fewer than 2-3 times a year, generally.
Often, the snow is just deep enough to ride comfortably when fresh without
a fat bike. I haven't done this trick since these photos in 2010, but for
some dumb fun (and a workout) I went up to the local high school's football
field and rode around the field in concentric circles (ellipses, I guess)
on my single speed bike. The total mileage was nearly 10 miles!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecrazy-paul/5269889850/in/album-72157625619897864/
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.