I'm not a mechanic or an expert. But I've set up two compact doubles in the
past year:

   - On my Hillborne: A SunXCD 42/24 with a Suntour Cyclone (Mark I)
   - On my MB-2: A TA Specialities 42/28 with a Suntour AR

In both instances I had to run the derailer a lot higher than I thought I
should to get the jump. It looked so wrong I almost abandoned the crank.
But then I looked closely at other compact doubles and found FDs run higher
than conventional wisdom dictates. The same was true when setting up an SR
mixte, had to run the FD pretty high to miss the chainstay but it shifts
fine.

Your mileage may vary.