It's a triple with a wide-ish cage to clear 7/8-speed chains, which I
prefer on 9-speed systems cuz you don't have to trim as often to clear the
narrower chain. Assuming you're using friction front shifting it should be
fine*, index compatibility is a whole 'nother kettle of beans or whatever
that phrase is.

* Make sure you have the correct shim for your downtube if the clamp itself
is 34.9. I just picked up a 34.9 Deore (used) that only had a 31.8 shim, I
bought a 28.6 that would fit my frame.