I've enjoyed many a B17 Champion Special, and a few not, and only a few B17
standards.

NOTE: I'm six foot tall, 165lbs, with a 13cm sit bone width. I run a few
times a week and do a couple of 25 mile rides each week, and shorter rides
for errands, etc. Long way of saying I'm not real wide and there's not much
mass on me.

I've also got an Ideale Daniel Rebour in my stash, which is said to have
superior water resistance. Never tried the water resistance, though. It is
also very nice.

I never had good luck with the Berthouds. Like sitting on granite. Hard
hard hard. No break-in. Tried three different ones. Gave up. Ditto for the
Brooks C67 (the Cambium version of the B68). The C67 also had a very wide
nose, which did not work for me - I guess I've got developed adductors or
something.

 I recently bought an LHT and have a more Albatross/Tosco-type upright
position on the bike. I tried a bunch of Brooks and Specialized and Ergon
saddles, all 155+mm width.

There is one that I settled on, that is really fantastic for me: The Ergon
Mountain SMC in a women's medium/large. I think it's about 160mm at its
widest, and weighs 300g, so maybe a half pound lighter than a B17, and to
me,  just as nice. It was about $70. There's a picture on the Rivbike site
with what I think is the same saddle on Roman's Sequoia:

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/news/romans-59cm-sequoia-86-5cm-pbh

A note about saddle width: leather saddles have those beautiful rivets. The
rivets, for me, reduce the functional width of a saddle. Here's a photo of
a 155mm saddle mated to a 220mm wide saddle. Their 65mm difference is
minimized by the rivets, and their functional width is similar:

[image: IMG_0051.jpg]

Both those saddles (Brooks B68 and Ergon SR3-L) are available for purchase
if anyone's interested!

- Chris